qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Rethinking missed tick catchup

From: Avi Kivity
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Rethinking missed tick catchup
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 18:53:45 +0300

On 09/13/2012 06:50 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

>>> S3 requires guest cooperation, period.  But so does qemu-ga.  It's
>>> better than nothing, and we can't get perfection without guest cooperation.
>>
>> qemu-ga requires either an admin/tool to install qemu-ga, or for qemu-ga
>> to be preinstalled by the OS vendor.  S3 requires S3 support to be
>> provided by the host vendor, and for it to be functional.  A
>> significantly easier bar to clear.
>
> We can easily generate an ISO that includes a pre-built version of
> qemu-ga.

We could easily generate water, but we can't make the horse drink it.

> Plus, there's a whole variety of other features enabled once we can
> assume qemu-ga is available.  It's worth solving that problem.

We can't assume it.  Too many OSes exist, too many guests are already
exist and ain't broken, too many vendors are moving into a locked-down
model.  I agree it's great and we should take advantage of it, but we
can't assume it's there.