qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] i.MX233 / olinuxino support

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] i.MX233 / olinuxino support
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 15:11:09 +0000

On 11 December 2012 15:08, M P <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>> "Showing 11 changed files with 2,236 additions and 0 deletions."
>>
>> That commit absolutely has to be broken up into a coherent set of
>> smaller patches; it is far too big to code review as it stands.
>

> Well I pondered that, but really I don't see how to split that since they
> are all new files.., and all the bits are part of one 'unit'.. Any
> suggestion ?

The usual approach is one of:
 * a patch per device, then one patch at the end with the board model
or if you have a lot of devices:
 * a patch per device for a few basic devices (uart etc)
 * then a patch for a board model using those and able to boot
   a very stripped down kernel
 * then add more complicated devices later, with a patch per
   device which adds the device source file and modifies the board
   model to instantiate it

Bear in mind that QEMU should compile at every stage between every
patch; it's not enough for it to just compile at the end when all
patches are applied.

thanks
-- PMM