qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Continuous work on sandboxing

From: Eduardo Otubo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Continuous work on sandboxing
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 16:57:44 -0300

On 04/26/2013 07:17 PM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
Il 26/04/2013 23:07, Paul Moore ha scritto:
3. Debugging and/or learning mode - third party libraries still have the
problem of interfering in the Qemu's signal mask. According to some
previous discussions, perhaps patch all external libraries that mass up
with this mask (spice, for example) is a way to solve it. But not sure
if it worth the time spent. Would like to hear you guys.
I think patching all the libraries is a losing battle, I think we need to
pursue alternate debugging techniques.

It is really only about patching libraries that create threads _and_
block all signals in the newly-created thread (to not interfere with the
program's own handling of the signals).  In this case, the per-thread
signals (SIGFPE/SIGSEGV/SIGBUS/SIGSYS/SIGILL) should be left unblocked,
but SIGSYS is often forgotten.

But otherwise you have a fast way to test third party linked libraries, I would have to test it each one manually. How many libraries are linked to Qemu today?

I don't think there are many libraries like this, but fixing SPICE at
least should definitely be welcome.

In fact QEMU's own util/qemu-thread-posix.c does not unblock those
signals.  Eduardo, can you submit a patch for that?

I sure can.
--
Eduardo Otubo
IBM Linux Technology Center