qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Streamlining endian handling in TCG

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Streamlining endian handling in TCG
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2013 19:41:30 +0200

Am 28.08.2013 18:38, schrieb Peter Maydell:
> On 28 August 2013 16:26, Richard Henderson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> (D) Profit!  I'm not sure what will be left of TARGET_WORDS_BIGENDIAN at this
>> point.  Possibly only if we leave the current translator interface in place
>> in
>> step A.
> I think there are a number of devices and boards which use it
> as a convenient shortcut, but we can fix those -- the TCG
> reliance on knowing about the target endianness is the
> hard part of the problem, I think.
>
> -- PMM

In my personal code base (git://repo.or.cz/qemu/ar7.git), I had removed
lots of TARGET_WORDS_BIGENDIAN some years ago when I started
code changes to combine MIPS big and little endian in one executable
(still unfinished :-(, sorry).

I added a 'bool bigendian' to CPUArchState.

Richard, MIPS can be added to your list of architectures which might
profit from your proposed changes.

Regards,
Stefan