qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [edk2] OVMF hung on qemu 1.6.0 with KVM

From: Jordan Justen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [edk2] OVMF hung on qemu 1.6.0 with KVM
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 10:33:17 -0700

On Fri, Aug 30, 2013 at 5:42 AM, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> Il 30/08/2013 14:10, Gleb Natapov ha scritto:
>>>
>>> No problem. :)

>>> The hypervisor builds shadow page tables lazily; as soon as CR0.PG is
>>> set the next instruction will pagefault and shadow page tables will
>>> start to get populated.
>>>
>>> However, surprise!  There is another set of "flat" page tables for X64,
>>> built by UefiCpuPkg/ResetVector/Vtf0/Tools/FixupForRawSection.py when
>>> you run UefiCpuPkg/ResetVector/Vtf0/Build.py.  These are always in ROM.
>>>
>>> As in Jordan's patches, the problem is that the hypervisor is expecting
>>> to be able to write to the page tables, but this is not the case because
>>> the page tables are in a read-only memory slot.
>>>
>> Only when setting dirty/accessed bits, are they not set in ROM version
>> of page tables?
>
> They are set, but the hypervisor is using gfn_to_hva unconditionally.
> See the patch I just posted.

We should be building the tables in ROM such that they are marked as
present, accessed and dirty. Thus, the processor should never want to
write to them.

My first pass 'fix' to this was to transition the tables to RAM very
early, but I think they ought to have worked from the ROM. (I just
assumed we were dealing with some KVM limitation, or was it a KVM
bug?)

-Jordan