qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Build failure with make-4.0

From: Ken Moffat
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Build failure with make-4.0
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 10:53:43 +0100

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 10:05:10AM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 19 October 2013 00:36, Ken Moffat <address@hidden> wrote:
> >  Seems I can just
> > $export ARFLAGS="rv"
> > before I configure, and it will build and install.  Unless there is
> > some reason NOT to do that, please consider this closed.
>
> Well, the reason would be that nobody in practice will do
> that. Make should be setting ARFLAGS correctly (as per
> its documentation) unless you've somehow managed to
> set ARFLAGS to something incorrect in your environment.
> If you "unset ARFLAGS" does it work?
>
> -- PMM
 I don't normally touch ARFLAGS.  Here's a freshly-untarred qemu
tree.

address@hidden /scratch/ken/tmp/qemu-1.6.1 $echo $ARFLAGS

address@hidden /scratch/ken/tmp/qemu-1.6.1 $unset ARFLAGS

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --target-list=x86_64-softmmu
make

         AR libfdt/libfdt.a
ar: two different operation options specified
Makefile:234: recipe for target 'libfdt/libfdt.a' failed
make[1]: *** [libfdt/libfdt.a] Error 1
Makefile:153: recipe for target 'subdir-dtc' failed
make: *** [subdir-dtc] Error 2

ĸen