qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU For Windows

From: Stefan Weil
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU For Windows
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2013 18:38:34 +0100

Am 04.12.2013 16:30, schrieb Cumberland, Lonnie:

> Greetings All,
>
> I hope that you are well today.
>
> For a learning/development project, I am interested in the “QEMU for
> Windows” which is being developed by Stefan Weil as I think that it
> would make a great starting point. I found the latest code at:
>
> http://qemu.weilnetz.de/
>
> and would like to discuss with Stefan Weil, or perhaps other, the
> particulars of how to set up the development environment which I
> presume is MinGW to compile the 32-bit and 64-bit binaries.
>
> Would you please advise me on how I can move forward on this as my
> project that I have in mind will need to modify qemu in a number of ways.
>
> In the first steps, I would like to spend some time to get familiar
> with the qemu code base after which I will investigate modifications
> that I would like to make. In particular, I am very interested in
> developing a version of Qemu to incorporate true SMP towards my
> project goals of a SSI (Single System Image) distributed cluster
> system using QEMU as the SSI VM. That’s the eventual goal, at least.
>
> Kind Regards and have a great day my friends,
>
> Lonnie T. Cumberland

Hi Lonnie,

please start with reading the available documentation, especially these
pages:

http://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/GettingStartedDevelopers
http://wiki.qemu.org/Hosts/W32

I strongly suggest using Linux instead of Windows if your project is
based on x86 hardware, because QEMU on Windows is much slower than QEMU
on Linux with KVM hardware virtualization. Even for building Windows
binaries, Linux is the better build platform. The QEMU binaries for
Windows on qemu.weilnetz.de are built with MinGW-w64 on a server running
Debian/GNU Linux (wheezy), the code is from my personal QEMU repository
git://repo.or.cz/qemu/ar7.git.

Best regards,
Stefan Weil