qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU For Windows

From: Cumberland, Lonnie
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU For Windows
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2013 18:20:21 +0000

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for getting back to me regarding your QEMU on Windows.

I actually do realize that QEMU on a Windows os is much slower, but I have
limited options in this area as the basis of the project (which will take a
fair amount of time and effort to get going) is to have a Type 2 Hypervisor
something like QEMU or Virtualbox which is able to co-exist, and run
concurrently, with commodity Windows Desktop systems. I also have been
considering CoLinux, AndLinux, and SpeedLinux for a possible starting point as
well.  For pure linux based machines, as Type 1 Hypervisor like Xen might do
the job, but currently I want to go with a development that will allow the VM
to run concurrently with Windows.

The project goal is to develop a distributed shared memory shared resource SSI
system such that one massive virtual computer can span a great many desktops
and dedicated systems.  It's a very ambitious and long-term project and I am
just trying to determine the best existing VM from which to start the effort
for which it looked as though QEMU, although slower on Windows machines, has
the best cross platform as well as a code-base that is not overly heavy like
Virtualbox.

Thanks for the links and I will start looking into the information.

If you have any suggestions on a possible approach towards these goals then I
would be happy to hear them as well.

Cheers and have a great day,
Lonnie