qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for 2014-04-01

From: Michael Roth
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] KVM call agenda for 2014-04-01
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2014 14:57:59 -0500

Quoting Andreas Färber (2014-03-31 09:46:45)
> Am 31.03.2014 16:32, schrieb Peter Maydell:
> > On 31 March 2014 15:28, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> >> I think it would be a good idea to separate the committer and release
> >> manager roles.  Peter is providing the community with a wonderful service,
> >> just like you were; putting too much work on his shoulders risks getting us
> >> in the same situation if anything were to affect his ability to provide it.
> >
> > Yes, I strongly agree with this. I think we'll do much better
> > if we can manage to share out responsibilities among a wider
> > group of people.
>
> May I propose Michael Roth, who is already experienced from the N-1
> stable releases?

Sure, I would be willing.

> If we can enable him to upload the tarballs created from his tags that
> would also streamline the stable workflow while at it.

Agreed, though I feel a little weird about creating releases for tags that
aren't in the official repo. Would that be acceptable from a community
stand-point? I'm honestly not sure.

Otherwise I think Anthony/Peter would probably still need to process a pull
for stable-y.x branch in advance before we do the tarball/release. Would
still help simplify things a bit though by keeping tasks compartmentalized.

Anthony, Peter: in the past, prior to release, I just sent an email with
a pointer to my github branch with the stable release tagged. Would a proper
pull request (with a for-stable-x.y tag or somesuch) be preferable?

If we opt to align the stable repo updates with the actual release, what kind
of lead time would we need prior to actual release?