qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] documenting our unfinished API/style transitions

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] documenting our unfinished API/style transitions
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 14:43:42 +0100

On 28 April 2014 14:28, Andreas Färber <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 28.04.2014 12:56, schrieb Peter Maydell:
>> QEMU tends to have rather a lot of half-finished API or coding style
>> transitions, as an inevitable consequence of our having such a large
>> code base with wildly varying levels of maintainedness. I thought it
>> would be useful to at least document them on the wiki:
>>
>> http://wiki.qemu.org/CodeTransitions
>>
>> The aim is twofold:
>>  * to give people who don't spend all their time reading the mailing
>>    list a quick reference on what things to avoid copying when they're
>>    writing new code
>
> I had started
>
> http://wiki.qemu-project.org/DeveloperNews
>
> to that effect already. Please consider at least linking the two rather
> than completely reinventing it.

Sorry, I'd forgotten about that page. I like the top-down
date order list of the DeveloperNews page; however I
also like the "stuff we haven't finished yet" approach
of CodeTransitions. How about:
 * we keep DeveloperNews to a set of short bullet points,
   covering transitions and also other updates (things like
   the PULL subject line convention)
 * for transitions in particular we can document them in
   greater detail on the CodeTransitions wiki page and have
   the oneliner on DeveloperNews include a link

Or does that seem like too much effort?

thanks
-- PMM