qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/8] pc: resizeable ROM blocks

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 0/8] pc: resizeable ROM blocks
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2015 13:59:36 +0100

On 07/01/2015 13:37, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 11:52:40AM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>> Maybe it's too optimistic.  That's why I'm saying do not trim the tables
>> for a couple releases more.
>
> I think it is too optimistic, and not trimming the tables does not
> solve it convincingly enough to my taste.

Not trimming the tables is just to give us more time to think about
problems with the new world order that Igor and I are introducing.  I
don't want to rush it.

I'm okay with merging the patches together with the trimming, if the
experience during this time tells us that I was too optimistic.

>> If you have a bug, you're changing guest ABI.
>
> That's not how we designed it. ACPI tables are just generated firmware.
> They are *not* ABI.

They are the only part of the firmware that a) describes the machine and
b) runs inside the OS.  So they are at least special.

Paolo