qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for NetLogic XLP Processors

From: James Hogan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Support for NetLogic XLP Processors
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 13:13:14 +0000

Hi Duarte,

On 22/03/15 11:13, Duarte Silva wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have been struggling to get some binaries compiled for NetLogic XLP
> processor to run under QEMU. I have tried a bunch of things (most going back
> and forth) and always get the following error message:
>
> qemu: uncaught target signal 4 (Illegal instruction) - core dumped
> Illegal instruction
>
> I tried to debug it using GDB but to no avail. Does anybody have ideas? I'm
> running QEMU 2.2.1.

It sounds like the program had an instruction that QEMU doesn't
recognise, or doesn't think should be allowed on the current CPU which
you've set with -cpu. You might be able to find out what that
instruction is by putting this on your qemu command line:

 -singlestep -d in_asm

that will cause it to only translate one instruction at a time, and to
dump each one as it is translated. The last one printed will very likely
to be the one that is causing the problem.

Cheers
James