qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Removing old/unused audio backends

From: Kővágó Zoltán
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Removing old/unused audio backends
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 00:05:27 +0200

Hi,

I'll be doing doing gsoc this year, where I'll rework the audio backend of qemu to allow multiple backend instances and multichannel audio. This will of course require modifications of the existing audio drivers in qemu, so it's probably a good idea to remove drivers that nobody use anymore (and probably bug rotten anyway).

Here are the drivers that could go in my opinion:
esd: no longer maintained, last release in 2008, replaced by PulseAudio
fmod: not sure about this one, but apparently it's some no longer developed library that's also proprietary. sdl: is broken (http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-05/msg02198.html), and we have native drivers for almost all platforms winwave: DirectSound should be a superior choice on windows (even though it's also deprecated)

alsa needed on Linux, oss on BSDs, coreaudio on Mac, dsound on Windows; spice and pa are also needed. wav is probably useful for debugging.

Do you guys have any objections about removing the above mentioned audio drivers in the near future?

Thanks,
Zoltan