qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] MAINTAINERS leaves too many files uncovered

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] MAINTAINERS leaves too many files uncovered
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2015 15:58:38 +0100

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 11:13:57AM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Paolo asked for an update.
>
> Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> writes:
> Different tack: what are the unmaintained files we actually change?
>
> Unmaintained files sorted by number of commits in the past year (commit
> 1733681):
>
>     $ for i in `cat unmaintained-files`; do echo -n "$i "; git-rev-list
> 1733681.. $i | wc -l; done | awk '{ printf "%7d %s\n", $2, $1 }' | sort -rn |
> head -n 100
>          79 trace-events

We should probably just kill the trace-events file from git entirely.
Everyone more or less appends to it, which guarantees each patch
series conflicts on it, and no one person is suitable as maintainer
of it really.

My personal suggestion would be to have a .t file alongside each
source file which has trace events in it. eg if ui/vnc.c includes
trace events, then put all VNC trace events in a ui/vnc.t file.
The Makefile can trivially concatenate all .t files back into a
single trace-events file.

This way, we can trivially align maintainers for the .t files
with the corresponding maintainer of the .c file.

There might be some cases where trace events are used from multiple
source files, in which case you could allow a common.t file in each
subdirectory too. This gets slightly harder to assign a unique maintainer
against though particularly for a dumping ground like util/ or block/
etc, so I'd suggest focusing on .t files matching the .c filename.

Regards,
Daniel