qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migration sequence

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Live migration sequence
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 18:11:00 +0100

* Pavel Fedin (address@hidden) wrote:
>  Hello!
>
> > Some thoughts:
> >   a) There is a migration state notifier list - see
> > add_migration_state_change_notifier (spice
> > calls it)
> >      - but I don't think it's called in the right places for your needs;  we
> >      could add some more places that gets called.
>
>  I am now trying to add one more state, something like
> MIGRATION_STATUS_FINISHING. It would mean that CPUs are stopped.
>  Can you explain me migration code a bit? Where is iteration loop, and where
> are CPUs stopped? I am looking at migration.c but
> cannot say that i understand some good portion of it. :)

The outgoing side of migration comes into migrate_fd_connect which does
all the setup and then starts 'migration_thread'.  The big while loop in there
does
most of the work, and on each loop normally ends up calling either
   qemu_savevm_state_iterate
or
  migration_completion

migration_completion calls vm_stop_force_state to stop the CPU,
and then qemu_savevm_state_complete to save all the remaining devices
out.

Dave