qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] fw_cfg DMA security

From: Jordan Justen
Subject: [Qemu-devel] fw_cfg DMA security
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 23:27:00 -0700

Back when I was looking at fw_cfg support for -kernel in OVMF, I noted
that it took a while to read the kernel. We improved the perf
substantially by using a 'rep insb' instruction, which I think kvm
special cases to minimize VM traps.

Nevertheless, I thought that it would be good to implement a DMA
interface to fw_cfg. It's great to see that Marc made that happen.

One complication I thought of was that it might be tricky to deal with
the implications of allowing this DMA to specify any old address to
fill with fw_cfg data.

So, for example, since Red Hat is working on SMM. Would a DMA to SMRAM
be protected?

I haven't watched the fw_cfg DMA discussion too closely, but has this
been thought about?

One idea I had was that near the end of the firmware boot, the
firmware could trigger fw_cfg in QEMU to stop supporting DMA until a
reset.

-Jordan