qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [V6 0/4] AMD IOMMU

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [V6 0/4] AMD IOMMU
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2016 16:30:46 +0200

On Tue, Mar 01, 2016 at 03:18:05PM +0100, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 2016-03-01 15:12, Jan Kiszka wrote:

> >> Hopefully not, if that happens we'll have to do a PV IOMMU :)
> >
> > Please not.

> >> Well for one, it's possible to use vt-d and not amd iommu.
> >
> > That would lead to nice combos of AMD CPUs with VT-d IOMMU. While it may
> > be possible, I wouldn't rely on guests having tested that combination
> > very well.
>
> To make the concern more concrete: I'm playing with code that will reuse
> the MMU page tables for the IOMMU - the AMD architecture is designed for
> that optimization (in contrast to Intel's). So, if the guest is not
> foreseeing that artificial combo above (ours will definitely not)
> because it is designed around the reuse, it will at least fail to run.
>
> Jan

So if you have an AMD iommu on the host and that is capable
of 2-level translation, then the flushing problem
can be fixed by a kind of iommu pass-through
where you point the host's iommu to guest's page tables.

So maybe what you need to do is make it possible
for device to query iommu and ask whether it
supports devices caching invalid PTEs.
If not, vfio could fail.