qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ipxe and arm

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ipxe and arm
Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 16:03:43 +0200

  Hi,

> > I don't understand the question, sorry. How can ipxe fail if ipxe is not
> > made available to the guest, in any NIC's PCI option ROM BAR?
> What I meat to say is that on x86 user can use rtl8139 or e1000 to use
> ipxe. If uefi doesn't support rtl8139 or e1000, user can't use ipxe with
> uefi when he only uses rtl8139 or e1000.

ipxe provides efi drivers.  They are sitting in the PCI rom bar of the
qemu emulated nics and edk2 can use them just fine, on x86.  Right now
we support legacy bios, ia32 efi and x64 efi.

Now ipxe got arm and aarch64 support and the questions is whenever we
should add arm efi and/or aarch64 efi support to the nic pci roms.  I
somehow doubt it is that useful b/c I expect virtio-net being the only
relevant nic on arm virt and edk2 ships with a driver for virtio-net, so
it works fine without the ipxe driver in the rom.

hope this clarifies,
  Gerd