qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] virtIO question

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] virtIO question
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2016 15:04:18 +0000

On 5 November 2016 at 14:46, jitendra kumar khasdev <address@hidden> wrote:
> here is what I find difficulty in understanding the code,
>
> 1. Qemu virtio datastructures are not so clear.
> 2. I didn't find any sort high level design with respective qemu for virtIO.
> 3. How qemu virtIO and linux virtIO does shared memoru communication.
>
> I will deeply thankful, if somebody help me to kick start this because I am
> really willing to work on virtIO. I am hoping somebody in community will
> help to give me some direction to achive the goal.

Have you looked at the virtio specification? This describes
the overall structure and communication mechanism, which
QEMU and Linux each only implement one half of:
http://docs.oasis-open.org/virtio/virtio/v1.0/virtio-v1.0.html

Hopefully it will provide the higher level overview
that you are looking for. Many of the data structures
and their purposes are also directly required and
described by the spec.

thanks
-- PMM