qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux kernel polling for QEMU

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Linux kernel polling for QEMU
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 11:00:11 +0000

On Tue, Nov 29, 2016 at 09:19:22AM +0100, Christian Borntraeger wrote:
> [...]
> > calls to spin awaiting new receive packets.  From what I can tell epoll
> > is not supported so that system call will sleep without polling.
> >
> > blk_mq poll is mainly supported by NVMe.  It is only available with
> > synchronous direct I/O.  select(2), poll(2), epoll, and Linux AIO are
> > therefore not integrated.  It would be nice to extend the code so a
> > process waiting on Linux AIO using io_getevents(2), select(2), poll(2),
> > or epoll will poll.
> >
> > QEMU and KVM-specific polling
> > -----------------------------
> > There are a few QEMU/KVM-specific items that require polling support:
> >
> > QEMU's event loop aio_notify() mechanism wakes up the event loop from a
> > blocking poll(2) or epoll call.  It is used when another thread adds or
> > changes an event loop resource (such as scheduling a BH).  There is a
> > userspace memory location (ctx->notified) that is written by
> > aio_notify() as well as an eventfd that can be signalled.
> >
> > kvm.ko's ioeventfd is signalled upon guest MMIO/PIO accesses.  Virtio
> > devices use ioeventfd as a doorbell after new requests have been placed
> > in a virtqueue, which is a descriptor ring in userspace memory.
> >
> > Eventfd polling support could look like this:
> >
> >   struct eventfd_poll_info poll_info = {
> >       .addr = ...memory location...,
> >       .size = sizeof(uint32_t),
> >       .op   = EVENTFD_POLL_OP_NOT_EQUAL, /* check *addr != val */
> >       .val  = ...last value...,
> >   };
> >   ioctl(eventfd, EVENTFD_SET_POLL, &poll_info);
> >
> > In the kernel, eventfd stashes this information and eventfd_poll()
> > evaluates the operation (e.g. not equal, bitwise and, etc) to detect
> > progress.
> >
> > Note that this eventfd polling mechanism doesn't actually poll the
> > eventfd counter value.  It's useful for situations where the eventfd is
> > a doorbell/notification that some object in userspace memory has been
> > updated.  So it polls that userspace memory location directly.
> >
> > This new eventfd feature also provides a poor man's Linux AIO polling
> > support: set the Linux AIO shared ring index as the eventfd polling
> > memory location.  This is not as good as true Linux AIO polling support
> > where the kernel polls the NVMe, virtio_blk, etc ring since we'd still
> > rely on an interrupt to complete I/O requests.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Would be an interesting excercise, but we should really try to avoid making
> the iothreads more costly. When I look at some of our measurements, I/O-wise
> we are  slightly behind z/VM, which can be tuned to be in a similar area but
> we use more host CPUs on s390 for the same throughput.
>
> So I have two concerns and both a related to overhead.
> a: I am able to get a higher bandwidth and lower host cpu utilization
> when running fio for multiple disks when I pin the iothreads to a subset of
> the host CPUs (there is a sweet spot). Is the polling maybe just influencing
> the scheduler to do the same by making the iothread not doing sleep/wakeup

Interesting theory, look at sched_switch tracing data to find out
whether that is true.  Do you get any benefit from combining the sweet
spot pinning with polling?

> b: what about contention with other guests on the host? What
> worries me a bit, is the fact that most performance measurements and
> tunings are done for workloads without that. We (including myself) do our
> microbenchmarks (or fio runs) with just one guest and are happy if we see
> an improvement. But does that reflect real usage? For example have you ever
> measured the aio polling with 10 guests or so?
> My gut feeling (and obviously I have not done proper measurements myself) is
> that we want to stop polling as soon as there is contention.
>
> As you outlined, we already have something in place in the kernel to stop
> polling
>
> Interestingly enough, for SO_BUSY_POLL the network code seems to consider
>     !need_resched() && !signal_pending(current)
> for stopping the poll, which allows to consume your time slice. KVM instead
> uses single_task_running() for the halt_poll_thing. This means that KVM
> yields much more aggressively, which is probably the right thing to do for
> opportunistic spinning.

Another thing I noticed about the busy_poll implementation is that it
will spin if *any* file descriptor supports polling.

In QEMU we decided to implement the opposite: spin only if *all* event
sources support polling.  The reason is that we don't want polling to
introduce any extra latency on the event sources that do not support
polling.

> Another thing to consider: In the kernel we have already other opportunistic
> spinners and we are in the process of making things less aggressive because
> it caused real issues. For example search for the  vcpu_is_preempted​ patch
> set.
> Which by the way shown another issue, running nested you do not only want to
> consider your own load, but also the load of the hypervisor.

These are good points and it's why I think polling in the kernel can
make smarter decisions than in polling userspace.  There are multiple
components in the system that can do polling, it would be best to have a
single place so that the polling activity doesn't interfere.

Stefan