qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] New Year's starting over ... bsd-user

From: Sean Bruno
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] New Year's starting over ... bsd-user
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2017 12:00:34 -0700

On 01/04/17 11:32, Alex Bennée wrote:

> Sean Bruno <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm pondering where to start with getting FreeBSD's bsd-user code into
>> shape so it could actually be reviewed and accepted now that its sort of
>> working again (signal handling fixed finally).
>
> Also don't forget the parallel_cpus changes which were made for enhanced
> atomic support. There was also work in fixing up exclusive_start/end
> which is used for safe work like tb_flush.

Yeah, I ran head first into that wall last month.  :-)

We should be ok at this point as I've merged to master and am keeping up
now.

>> I almost feel like the existing code should be purged, except that it
>> gives a good history (and this seems lazy to me).
>>
>> As a first pass, I guess, I'd like to at least make i386 user run on
>> x86_64.  What would you folks like to see in a first pass?
>
> One thing that bugs me about linux-user is the amount of copy&paste
> repetition that goes on for the main run loop. Perhaps with a clean-up
> of the unused BSD architectures we could explore how a re-factored
> run loop could look with a view to moving to common run-loop code across
> both?

The bsd-user code does not have that nearly as much.  Hardware
architectures have been moved to seperate dirs and o/s support has been
broken up into seperate dirs.  This has made maintenance and testing
much easier, but not easy enough to get the code into your folk's tree.  :-)

> Apart from syscall mapping and backend calls to the BSD ABI what
> differences are there between the two user-mode implementations?

Not a substantial amount, IMO.  The setup and tear down are a bit
different, signal handling is a bit different, and as you mention
syscall mapping/backend calls are different.