qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtual Machine Generation ID

From: Ed Swierk
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Virtual Machine Generation ID
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2017 07:01:27 -0800

You mean what causes the guest to re-read the vmgenid guid? The
vmgenid ACPI table defines a notify method, and when the guest
receives the corresponding event, it re-reads the guid. (Also it
appears that with Windows Server 2012 at least, if no notify method is
defined, as is the case with Xen, the guest just re-reads it on
demand.)

Wouldn't it be sufficient for the qmp set-vmgenid command to call
acpi_ram_update() with the new guid, and acpi_send_event() to notify
the guest?

--Ed