qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 08/41] intel_iommu: support device iotlb descript

From: Liu, Yi L
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 08/41] intel_iommu: support device iotlb descriptor
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 06:36:41 +0000

Peter, I think for assigned device, all guest iotlb flush should be translated
be targeting device in the scope of host. Besides the scenario which has vhost
and vfio-pci device at the same time, how about only having vfio-pci device
and this device has ATS support. Then there should be device-iotlb flushing.
With this patch and your patch, it would also introduce two flushing.

> However, vhost may receive two invalidations here, but it won't matter much
> since vhost is just flushing caches twice.

yeah, so far I didn’t see functional issue, may just reduce performance^_^

> > It looks to be
> > a duplicate update. Pls refer to the following snapshot captured from
> > section 6.5.2.5 of vtd spec.
> >
> > "Since translation requests from a device may be serviced by hardware
> > from the IOTLB, software must always request IOTLB invalidation
> > (iotlb_inv_dsc) before requesting corresponding Device-TLB
> > (dev_tlb_inv_dsc) invalidation."
> >
> > Maybe for device-iotlb, we need a separate API which just pass down
> > the invalidate info without updating page table. Any thoughts?
>
> Now imho I slightly prefer just use the current UNMAP notifier type even for
> device iotlb device. But, we may need to do one more check that we skip
> sending general iotlb invalidations to ATS enabled devices like vhost, to
> avoid
> duplicated cache flushing. From virt-svm side, do we have specific requirement
> to introduce a new flag for it?
I think it is a practical solution to do such a check to avoid duplicate
flushing.

For virt-svm, requirement is a little bit different since it's not shadowing
any guest
page table. It needs to shadow invalidate operations. So virt-svm will not use
MAP/UNMAP notifier. Instead, it may require notifier which passdown invalidate
info and then submit invalidation directly.(no page table updating in host).

Regards,
Yi L