qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Obsolete QEMU host environments

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Obsolete QEMU host environments
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 09:40:55 +0000

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 07:09:55AM +1000, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On 03/15/2017 03:07 AM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> > On 14 March 2017 at 17:54, Thomas Huth <address@hidden> wrote:
> > > Our ia64 host backend in QEMU (tcg/ia64) is still marked as maintained
> > > ... so it's maybe not as dead as you think? Or should we rather get rid
> > > of that soon, too?
> >
> > I don't actually mind whether we keep tcg/ia64 or drop it.
> > But if we keep it then we must have a machine we can test
> > it on -- that means one I have access to (and which we
> > can otherwise use for central testing), not just one the
> > maintainer might happen to have.
> >
> > Also, that MAINTAINERS entry was added in 2011, so it's
> > probably about as out of date as the code :-)
>
> Red Hat's last ia64 machine died a few years ago, so I haven't
> been able to test it for quite some time.

AFAIK, HP are the only major vendor who still sell new ia64 machines and
that's high end stuff costing many $$$$$. Even they are pushing people to
x86_64 unless they need ia64 for legacy reasons. Otherwise ebay and other
secondhand marketplaces are the only way to get hold of ia64.

Regards,
Daniel
|: http://entangle-photo.org       -o-    http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|