qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Status and RFC of patchew testings on QEMU

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Status and RFC of patchew testings on QEMU
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2017 12:00:22 +0100

On 17 July 2017 at 11:20, Daniel P. Berrange <address@hidden> wrote:
> I'm a little concerned about the fact that we've now got three different
> sets of tests that are being run on pull requests. There are the tests
> that Peter runs on various combinations at time of merge, the tests run
> by patchw at time of submissions, and the tests run by travis after
> merge. Each of them is covering a different set of scenarios with only
> partial overlap between them.

I agree -- I have my ad-hoc test system not because I enjoy
collecting random things to run tests on but because we don't
have an automated system that does what I need:
 * wide coverage, focusing on oddball host architectures and OSes
 * ability to ssh in to a machine where tests have broken if need be
 * decently fast to complete a test run (travis is terrible for this)

Note that "fast to complete a test run for me" is in conflict with
"usable by anybody who wants to submit a pull request" :-)

thanks
-- PMM