qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Yet another git submodule rant

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Yet another git submodule rant
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2017 10:25:29 +0000

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 10:57:21AM +0100, Thomas Huth wrote:

> That automatic git submodule stuff now broke my workflow again. I
> usually keep the git repository on my laptop and then simply rsync the
> sources (without .git directories) to my target machine to compile it
> there. Used to work great for years. Now it's broken, the build process
> complains:

Excluding the .git dir will be a problem - that needs to exist, unless
you are building from tar.xz (where we will bundled all the submodule
sources together in the tar.xz).

If you really want to exclude the .git directories, then instead of
doing an rsync, then use the scripts/archive-source.sh tool to create
an archive of all the sources (which bundles required submodules)
and unpack that on your target machine. Then all submodule handling
on the target will be skipped.

> GIT submodule checkout is out of date. Please run
>   scripts/git-submodule.sh update
> from the source directory checkout /home/thuth/devel/qemu
>
> Running "scripts/git-submodule.sh update" did not fix the issue at all -
> I first had to tinker with it for a while to find out that I simply have
> to delete ".git-submodule-status" in my git tree to fix the issue.

I think it got confused from you deleting the .git directory

> I've got the feeling that all this submodule crap is constantly causing
> pain ... do we really need this? Can't we find another solution instead?
> Or at least stop modifying files automatically in the $SRC_PATH ?

We *have* to modify SRC_PATH, as that's where git submodule checkouts
live. If we didn't do that, then people would end up having failed
build due to submodules not existing, or even worse, having a silently
incorrect build due to using the wrong checked out version.

Regards,
Daniel