qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Yet another git submodule rant

From: Alexey Kardashevskiy
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Yet another git submodule rant
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2017 00:46:36 +1100

On 10/11/17 21:41, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 09:35:54PM +1100, Alexey Kardashevskiy wrote:

>>> I had a pull request merged yesterday later afternoon which possibly
>>> would address that problem, though hard hard to say for certain.
>>
>> wow, already? :(
>>
>> I still wonder why do not we checkout submodules into the build directory
>> and why .git-submodule-status is not there too...
>
> That simply isn't the way submodules work, they are inherently part of
> the source tree, and the status file reflects that too.

Sorry, I am missing the point here. What precisely does prevent us from
checking out the required modules to the build directory and build them
there? git provides a submodule repository url and sha1 for the current
qemu branch.

Yes, the submodule tree inside the qemu tree might be different from the
one in the build directory but the purpose of all of this is to always
build the correct code - so this requirement is met. And it will still be
better than changing the $SRC_PATH when a user specifically asked not to do
that by calling "./configure --source-path='.

--
Alexey