qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] iSER transport name is not good

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] iSER transport name is not good
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2017 10:30:29 +0000

* Charles Kelimod (address@hidden) wrote:
> Hi Dave and Sahlberg,

> you.
> my issue is when I create an vm from libvirt, the qemu command line should
> be:
> -drive
> file.driver=iser,file.portal=xx.xx.xx.xx:3260,file.target=iqn.xxx,file.lun=0,file.transport=iser
>
> Actually "iser" is added by me in libvirt, which can work by a little
> modification. But I think file.transport=rdma would be better, as I think
> iser is protocol, and rdma is transport, and libvirt defined it, if I added
> a new transport name (iser) in libvirt, it will be confusable.

This isn't something I know much about, however:
   a) The transport name is already defined as 'iser' in qemu, so that's
what needs to be used; we can't change it because someone somewhere
might alreadybe using it.
   b) iSER is a standard name for this, so it won't be confusing to
     people used to dealing with iSCSI over RDMA
   c) You of course need to check on the libvirt lists how they want
     to expose the setting.

Dave