qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 3/3] acpi-build: allocate mcfg for multiple host b

From: Laszlo Ersek
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC 3/3] acpi-build: allocate mcfg for multiple host bridges
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 00:42:09 +0200

Hold on,

On 05/22/18 21:51, Laszlo Ersek wrote:

> It had taken years until the edk2 core gained a universal
> PciHostBridgeDxe driver with a well-defined platform customization
> interface, and that interface doesn't support multiple domains /
> segments.

after doing a bit more research: I was wrong about this. What I
remembered was not the current state. Edk2 does seem to support multiple
domains, with different segment numbers, ECAM base addresses, and bus
number ranges. If we figure out a placement strategy or an easy to
consume representation of these data for the firmware, it might be
possible for OVMF to hook them into the edk2 core (although not in the
earliest firmware phases, such as SEC and PEI).

In retrospect, I'm honestly surprised that so much multi-segment support
has been upstreamed to the edk2 core. Sorry about the FUD. (My general
points remain valid, for the record... But perhaps they no longer matter
for this discussion.)

(I meant to send this message soon after
<http://mid.mail-archive.com/address@hidden>,
but my internet connection had to die right then.)

Thanks
Laszlo