qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] release retrospective, next release timing, numbering

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] release retrospective, next release timing, numbering
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 02:31:27 -0300

On 04/27/2018 12:51 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
> Hi; I usually let people forget about releases for a month or
> so before bringing this topic up, but:
[...]
> That will make the next release be 3.0.0.
[...]
> (3) retrospective, lessons learned &c
[...]
>  * provide your opinions here ?

Maybe v3 is a good opportunity to update QEMU standards...

- Clarify which APIs are outdated
  (Add /* DEPRECATED (use: NiceApi3.0) */ comments around)

- Select some up-to-date and recommended (well-documented)
  boards/device/block examples for newcomers (add in Wiki)

Some more painful ideas:

- Public function/structures added/modified get documentation
  (kernel-doc / Sphinx)

- New feature gets unit-qtesting (make check-unit)

- New device gets acceptance qtesting (make check-qtest)

- New board gets integration qtesting (boot BIOS/FW, Avocado)

I understand each maintainer manage his tree with his own criterion, IMO
these might be the minimum requested for paid contributors.

Regards,

Phil.