qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] monitor: enable OOB by default

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] monitor: enable OOB by default
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2018 07:37:26 -0500

On 06/27/2018 07:07 AM, Peter Xu wrote:

Worse than that - broadcasting to all monitors is categorically broken.
Different monitors make use the same "id" formatting scheme, so if you
broadcast COMMAND_DROPPED to a different monitor you might have clashing
"id" and thus incorrectly tell a client its command was dropped when in
fact it was processed. You'd have to be fairly unlucky in timing, but
it could happen.

Right.  Must fix bug.

My current plan is that I can touch up scripts/qapi/events.py and
related stuff to allow QMPEventFuncEmit to take a monitor parameter,
then we pass in NULL when we want to send the event to all monitors.

Would that work?

Makes sense to me. Also, right now, ALL callers of qapi_event_send_* pass &error_abort as their final parameter. If you're refactoring everything anyways, you could get rid of that parameter on the presumption that it doesn't buy us anything.

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266