[Qemu-discuss] qemu-kvm 0.15.1 discard feature

From: Charles Chou
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] qemu-kvm 0.15.1 discard feature
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 17:13:58 -1000

Hi,
Can someone tell me if the discard feature is fully implemented in qemu-kvm 0.15.1? From the source it seems to contain the necessary code for the block driver. However when I use a block device that is discard capable as a raw device for use with qemu-kvm as a data drive for the guest,, i.e., -hdb, and then created an ext4 fs. which is discard ready, but the deleted files did not seem to trigger the discard, i.e., the block space usage did not change.

When I mkfs.ext4 on the block device directly and mount it on the qemu host machine, the discard feature works just fine. Is there a special option I need to use in qemu startup to let the quest OS know the block device is discard capable?

Thanks!
Charles Chou