Re: [Qemu-discuss] Host-Bridge in routed TAP Mode

From: Vlad Yasevich
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Host-Bridge in routed TAP Mode
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:01:06 -0400

On 09/26/2013 11:46 AM, Sven Gehr wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 25. September 2013, 10:30:15 schrieb Vlad Yasevich:

  From what I understand, routed mode is just that.  It depends
on ip forwarding being enabled for the interfaces and it will
try to route the packets from your bridge out through your designated
interface.

Exactly, all packets from/to the bridging should be routed to the interface
eth0.

For that to happen, eth0 should have an IP address and you need to have
proper routes configured.  Also ip forwarding has to be enabled in the
interfaces.

What you seem to be looking for is a bridged configuration where
you connect the physical nic and virtial nic to the same bridge.

I can not say exactly. I think my problem is that the physical interface is
not connected to the bridge. I recognize the fact that everything works if
I'll add it manually with:

brctl addif intern eth0

This is a bridged configuration. In this configuration one of the bridge ports is the physical device and all traffic is forwarded by
the bridge.

In the routed configuration, the physical device is typically not
part of the bridge.  Instead the routing table describes the
forwarding path.

I don't see libvirt support that in their virtual network config.

I do not understand. How do I add libvirt support in my configuration?

You can used libvirt to setup a bridged interface in the Network
Interfaces tab though.

I have no graphical interface on the system. What is missing in my xml-file?

I think what you want to do is run:
        virsh iface-bridge eth0 br0

You may then edit the xml using iface-edit command.
Then change the vm xml to use the br0 interface instead of the default network you crated.

-vlad
sorry for my english, I do my best with google-translater :-(