Re: [Qemu-discuss] Native 32bit Windows Compile of QEMU 2.1.1 and/or QEM

From: Paul Gydos
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Native 32bit Windows Compile of QEMU 2.1.1 and/or QEMU 2.0.2
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 15:07:25 -0400

Again I have my reasons, I'm hoping not to be convinced away from QEMU but I'm hoping someone might help me get started with Natively Compiling QEMU  in W32. So now that I'm clear that I'm staying with QEMU for now. Who is up to the bizzaro challenge of doing this - knows the ins and outs of Mingw32 vs Mingw-w64 32 bit version (without the auto installer but rumored to be preferred amongst QEMU experts who apparently don't want to let their secret sauce on how to do this out of the bag). So lets try this again. Without all the reasons why I should look elsewhere does anybody out there think they can successfully natively compile a newer QEMU soure on W32 and share the details so its reproducible by someone else? This is not an easy task for many and if it were then it would already be documented (its not btw - all documentation is old) Right now I am using GTK+ all-in-one bundle as my base for the dependencies that whichever Mingw might need. That stopped some of my problems. Anybody else have advice in this area?

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 9:46 AM, Jerry Stuckle <address@hidden> wrote:
On 9/14/2014 11:37 PM, Paul Gydos wrote:
> I am currently trying to compile on a 32 bit Windows 7 Pro SP1 system a
> recent and up-to-date QEMU (2.1.1 or 2.0.2 right from the primary
> download page as opposed to from git)right in my CMD command prompt
> window preferably, but willing to do it any way a reasonable beginner
> can do it.
>
> The virtual machine I need will simply be a an x86.
>
> It has been suggested to use GTK+ instead of the currently listed
> dependencies for creating a MinGW environment. It has also been
> suggested to use a 32 bit version of MinGW-W64 instead of mingw32. After
> the person making suggestions ceased making suggestions and then said he
> didn't have actual experience doing this.
>
> So far all documentation I have found is years and years old and leads
> to failure. There seems to be an endless number of possible combinations
> of the needed tools, which is the combination that will work?
>
> I realize that windows is not popular among the open and free community
> but for my case use it is essential. My case use is to introduce new
> students coming from multiple popular platforms Win7/Win8.1, Ubuntu
> 14.04 LTS, Etc. to an exact alike simple command line linux plus busybox
> system with a c library. The system will also have python2 and git and
> the goal is to learn how to navigate a simple linux system, but mostly
> to learn vi, git, and python2 so that they learn how to use a simple and
> classic text editor, I'm going to build my OS on top of the 4MLinux Core
> and keep it as light as possible even though it has current linux
> kernel, current busybox, and a current glibc. I'm hoping to put that all
> inside a current qemu.
>
> I have used QEMU Manager to run the 4MLinux Core. However I would like
> to become proficient in QEMU and I would like an up to date build which
> I have full command line access to. It seems wise to have all that I
> would need to compile my build if I actually want to be accessing QEMU
> in that manner - but hey I'm a noob to this so what do I know.
>
> I am willing to follow reasonable directions to make my environment,
> including specific files, changing environmental variables like PATH,
> from someone who actually has experience doing it.
>
> I will document every step I follow, and make public my findings for
> documentation purposes breaking it down ad nauseum for the newbie. I
> believe that qemu is a wonderful tool and would like to see the newbie
> community have more access to it.
>
> It does seem that up-to-date QEMU documentation that would be helpful to
> the beginner and doesn't exclude the Windows community couldn't hurt the
> project.
>
> Any help please? I have notes on what I have done thus far but since I
> have no evidence that I'm going the right direction I'm putting this out
> as a more general topic,

Paul,

I have to agree with others.  I think QEMU is overkill for your needs.

I have a Windows machine (out of necessity, unfortunately), but do a lot
of Linux development.  I use VirtualBox for running X86 Linux systems.
I also use QEMU for emulating ARM-based systems.

QEMU is great at emulating different hardware.  But if you're running an
X86 system on X86 hardware, there are better solutions.

Jerry