Re: [Qemu-discuss] Native 32bit Windows Compile of QEMU 2.1.1 and/or QEM

From: Paul Gydos
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Native 32bit Windows Compile of QEMU 2.1.1 and/or QEMU 2.0.2
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 16:38:37 -0400

Thank you Peter,
    You have clarified a lot of what I have already noticed - I have seen threads where others tried to go down this path and then were steered to a cross-compile from Linux to Windows. I'm not necessarily moving on to anything easier unless it becomes necessary to do so as a reference point - which as you have suggested might be one way to troubleshoot this particular task - mostly now because I'm enjoying this challenge - I think that it should not only be possible to do this but that it should be documented in such a way that a relative novice can do it - and so I'm going to see if I can cross the finish line and then roll out the map so anyone else in the near future who might want to use the instructions can do it - probably in another 18 mo. what I write will be outdated but this is how things go - and perhaps no one else will even use it - but QEMU has a wonderful reach across popular Windows, Macintosh, and Linux Operating systems, has a wonderful community feel, and can be used to create really wonderful small-footprint pairings of virtualizer and system which for all three reasons make it exactly what I'm looking for. By starting with the hardest platform first and not "cheating" by cross-compiling it into it - I'm throwing myself into the learning and its really interesting already to see how a marriage of gnu tools and windows looks like and functions - Like I said I enjoy the challenge and while I am figuring it out it seems like it doesn't hurt to milk others for their experience in this area and path. Thanks for the advice - I think you gave a nice concise description of what I'm doing and the challenge of doing it this way and why this is a difficult way to go about an otherwise simple thing. So I am continuing on with this attempt if anyone has anything to add on advice, and especiall if anyone actually done this in the last 18 mo.

On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:22 PM, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
On 15 September 2014 12:07, Paul Gydos <address@hidden> wrote:
> Again I have my reasons, I'm hoping not to be convinced away from QEMU but
> I'm hoping someone might help me get started with Natively Compiling QEMU
> in W32. So now that I'm clear that I'm staying with QEMU for now. Who is up
> to the bizzaro challenge of doing this - knows the ins and outs of Mingw32
> vs Mingw-w64 32 bit version (without the auto installer but rumored to be
> preferred amongst QEMU experts who apparently don't want to let their secret
> sauce on how to do this out of the bag). So lets try this again. Without all
> the reasons why I should look elsewhere does anybody out there think they
> can successfully natively compile a newer QEMU soure on W32 and share the
> details so its reproducible by someone else? This is not an easy task for
> many and if it were then it would already be documented (its not btw - all
> documentation is old) Right now I am using GTK+ all-in-one bundle as my base
> for the dependencies that whichever Mingw might need. That stopped some of
> my problems. Anybody else have advice in this area?

Your fundamental problem here is you're trying to do something
which is an obscure corner case so it's not very well documented.
In order of what kinds of QEMU compile people most often do:
 * Native compilation on a Linux system (usually x86)
   [this is the most common and every other setup is much rarer]
 * Cross compilation of one Linux system to another
 * Cross compilation from a Linux system to Windows
 * Native compilation of Windows

If you want to make your life easier you should move what
you're trying to do somewhere further up this list, so you're
trying something that's well supported and well tested.
Otherwise you're going to have to figure it out for yourself
based on looking at out of date wiki pages, finding suitable
dependent libraries, working out what the native-compile
equivalent of a cross-compile set of libraries needs to be,
and so on. That's all entirely possible, but it's not going to be
easy, especially if you're a relative novice.

PS: there is no "secret special sauce" used by QEMU experts
unless you think "cross compile from Linux rather than using
a native Windows build" is secret sauce...

thanks
-- PMM