Re: [Qemu-discuss] Chroot exec error inspite of qemu-static-arm being in

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Chroot exec error inspite of qemu-static-arm being installed
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:26:44 +0100

On 23 October 2014 02:47, Urmish Ajit Thakker <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to chroot into an arm system from a x86 host. However, I keep
> getting the following error
>
> chroot: failed to run command `/bin/bash': Exec format error.
>
> I think I have already installed the required files and I am not able to
> debug the issue. Can anyone help me with this?

A set of things you can try to narrow down the problem:

/path/to/chroot/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static --help
 # if this doesn't work you haven't installed the right QEMU into
 # your chroot
sudo chroot /path/to/chroot /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static --help
 # if this doesn't work then your allegedly static QEMU
 # isn't actually statically linked
/path/to/chroot/usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /path/to/chroot/bin/ls
 # this *should* fail with "/lib/ld-linux.so.3: No such file or directory"
 # or similar, indicating we read the executable but couldn't find
 # the dynamic linker. If this fails then maybe your chroot doesn't
 # have ARM binaries in it...
sudo chroot /path/to/chroot /usr/bin/qemu-arm-static /bin/ls
 # this should work and list the files in the chroot directory.
 # if it doesn't work then likely your chroot is wrongly set up
sudo chroot /path/to/chroot /bin/ls
 # if this fails but the previous command worked, then your binfmt-misc
 # registration is broken.

thanks
-- PMM