Re: [Qemu-discuss] Windows-10 virtualization and nested virtualization

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] Windows-10 virtualization and nested virtualization
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 20:10:10 +0200

On 06/04/2016 19:45, Jeff Forbes wrote:
> I was responding to Bandan Das' comment about Hyper-v NOT running when
> the hypervisor flag is present. What I observed was just the opposite.
> With "-cpu host,+vmx" Hyper-V will try to start the VM and then report
> that a component required by Hyper-V failed to start.

Remember that Hyper-V's primary partition is _also_ running under the
nested hypervisor and thus is expecting to see the hypervisor bit in
CPUID.  So the error messages can be confusing.

For example "a component required by Hyper-V failed to start" could mean
"the primary partition found the CPUID bit to be set, as expected, but
didn't find the right hypervisor interface".

> Since you are the most likely person to know, is Hyper-V nested
> virtualization likely to work with KVM in the near term?

It needs manpower.  If somebody wants the feature enough that they will
spend time looking at why it doesn't work, then that will help.

Paolo