Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to set the network card for qemu to use?

From: Miroslav Rovis
Subject: Re: [Qemu-discuss] How to set the network card for qemu to use?
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2016 19:50:17 +0200

Yet more postponing...

On 161015-10:26+0200, Miroslav Rovis wrote:
> Hi aleksei!
>
> I'll be studying your kind tip below, but I was into physical rearranging of
> my
> NIC cards setup, and I first decided I needed to see how the default
> pass-through works:
>
> http://www.croatiafidelis.hr/foss/cap/cap-161015-qemu-devuan/

I have another issue, more pressing than the setting of the network card
(which went for the first two days without a solution, and now I have to
postpone it for more pressing issues, but I will try and solve it later), and
I'm sure it is obvious in the eye of an experienced beholder if the reader
viewed the video at the link above
( but if not -- TL;DR -- then: in short, the Devuan image took eight (8)
minutes to boot ).

It demonstrates clearly the non-availability of KVM when I try:

$ qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu host -display gtk -m 1024M
devuan_jessie_1.0.0-beta_amd64_cloud.qcow2
qemu-system-x86_64: CPU model 'host' requires KVM
$

And yet, here's what I get if I grep my current kernel config with:

grep KVM /usr/src/linux/.config

CONFIG_GRKERNSEC_CONFIG_VIRT_KVM=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM_IRQCHIP=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM_IRQFD=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM_IRQ_ROUTING=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM_EVENTFD=y
CONFIG_KVM_APIC_ARCHITECTURE=y
CONFIG_KVM_MMIO=y
CONFIG_KVM_ASYNC_PF=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM_MSI=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM_CPU_RELAX_INTERCEPT=y
CONFIG_KVM_VFIO=y
CONFIG_KVM_GENERIC_DIRTYLOG_READ_PROTECT=y
CONFIG_KVM_COMPAT=y
CONFIG_HAVE_KVM_IRQ_BYPASS=y
CONFIG_KVM=y
# CONFIG_KVM_INTEL is not set
CONFIG_KVM_AMD=y
# CONFIG_KVM_DEVICE_ASSIGNMENT is not set

But maybe DEBUG_FS is missing:

( online clone) # grep DEBUG /usr/src/linux/.config | grep -Ev '^#' | grep FS
CONFIG_CIFS_DEBUG=y
( online clone) #

and in the new kernel that I compiled, however in my master system (the clone
I use for online, my master is Air Gepped from anything internet
Air-Gapped Gentoo Install, Tentative
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-987268.html
) there already is like this:

( Air-Gapped master ) # grep DEBUG /usr/src/linux/.config | grep -Ev '^#' |
grep FS
CONFIG_CIFS_DEBUG=y
CONFIG_DEBUG_FS=y
( Air-Gapped master ) #

Maybe that is what was missing.

I thought so looking up (yet another time) https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/QEMU

around:
[*] Debug Filesystem

and https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Talk:QEMU

where search for strings DebugFS and filecaps, regardless of all my reading of
the links there, I have't got any really clear understanding of these matters.

However, the update of an Air-Gapped based system is considerably longer than
typical other-do-it-all-for-me user installs:
Postfix smtp/TLS, Bkp/Cloning Mthd, Censorship/Intrusion (PART 2)
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-999436.html#7613044
. Allow me some time now.

Or tell me it is not the DEBUG_FS that is missing, if you know it (I'm unsure
as to the reason why KVM doesn't play with my Qemu --there was also
nothing in the logs about it).

Regards!
--
Miroslav Rovis