[Qemu-discuss] How to let kvm not reset the Qemu guest after long debug

From: Shi, Steven
Subject: [Qemu-discuss] How to let kvm not reset the Qemu guest after long debug break
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2018 06:16:43 +0000

Hello,
I meet a guest platform reset problem with --enable-kvm when I debug the Qemu
HW model code, and I hope to know how to let kvm not reset the Qemu guest when
I debug.
The problem is if I set breakpoints on some HW device code, e.g. dev-storage.c,
to pause the Qemu execution and do some step executions, then later,  I resume
the Qemu to hope Qemu guest can continue to run. But I found the Qemu guest CPU
will reset like a new power on. I guess it is because my debug break is too
long and let the kvm time out. This guest reset problem does not happen if I
remove the --enable-kvm and use the software emulation, but the performance
became very bad.
Please advise how could I better debug Qemu HW model code with kvm enabled.

Thanks!
Steven Shi