Re: Directory does not fit in FAT16 (capacity 516.06 MB)

From: lacsaP Patatetom
Subject: Re: Directory does not fit in FAT16 (capacity 516.06 MB)
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2023 16:33:00 +0100

Le mer. 13 déc. 2023 à 14:57, Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> a écrit :
On 13/12/2023 13.51, Alberto Garcia wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 13, 2023 at 01:27:49PM +0100, Narcis Garcia wrote:
>> A FAT16 partition (0x06) can be as large as 2 GiB
>
> That's why I say that there's probably a limitation in the QEMU vvfat
> driver.

Yes, it's hard-coded somewhere here:

https://gitlab.com/qemu-project/qemu/-/blob/v8.1.0/block/vvfat.c#L1195

Anyway, it's not recommended to use vvfat anymore since it's very old and
unmaintained code. If possible, use something like usb-mtp or virtio-fs instead.

  Thomas

not as old as FAT :-)
its non-maintenance can indeed be a source of problems.
however, it's still available in qemu and present in the documentation without any contraindication.

having said that, and if you respect the constraints ("what you should never do..."), vvfat is a really nice way of performing and repeating quick tests without having to go through the process of building/creating/updating disk images.

in my case, the efi application needs access to the tree structure present in the ./esp/ folder, and I'm not sure that usb-mtp and virtio-fs are suitable... I'll take a closer look at these two ideas, thanks.