Re: How to stop Qemu from resetting terminal?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: How to stop Qemu from resetting terminal?
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2023 09:59:00 +0000

On Sun, 17 Dec 2023 at 22:49, Dave Blanchard <dave@killthe.net> wrote:

> One particularly annoying trait of Qemu is how it nukes my terminal settings.
> This is especially infuriating when booting Linux where the VM console is
> redirected to the serial port, which is then displayed on the host console.
> Among other things line wrapping is disabled, so compiler output for example
> is truncated at the end of the line! Then after the VM exits the console is
> kept in this screwed up state, so I have to reset it.
>
> How can this mis-feature be disabled? Preferably by command line, or
> alternately, where in the code is this happening so I can patch it to
> disable? I've tried in vain to find where it's happening in the code, with no
> luck.

If you're directing a guest's terminal to the console then things
like line wrapping are entirely up to the guest -- QEMU is
providing the equivalent of a piece of hardware like a serial
terminal, and how the guest chooses to write to it is up to
the guest's serial drivers and TTY layer. So it's the guest's
settings that control eg truncation vs wrapping. For serial
terminal emulation you also have to tell the guest what its
terminal window size actually is, if your window isn't 80x25:
getting that wrong usually causes messed up display output.

thanks
-- PMM