qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] Booting FreeBSD PowerPC64 on qemu-system-ppc

From: Mark Cave-Ayland
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] Booting FreeBSD PowerPC64 on qemu-system-ppc
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:17:51 +0000

On 06/03/12 01:35, Super Bisquit wrote:

With OpenBSD, the system proceeds slightly further.
<Previous error>
0>  boot cd:,ofwboot 5.0/macppc/bsd.rd>>  OpenBSD/macppc BOOT 1.1
call-method dma-alloc: exception -21
boot>
booting cd:5.0/macppc/bsd.rd: call-method dma-alloc: exception -21
<extremely slow boot sequence here>

The attach files contain reference urls to a similar problem with
OpenBSD and a  solution of sorts with NetBSD.
Nathan, I thought that this information may be helpful. I'm stuck at
this point with the qemu-system-ppc64 install of FreeBSD.

I don't know about FreeBSD PPC64, however PPC32 appears to fail because OpenBIOS doesn't (yet) support the dma-* words required to map device memory. It doesn't look to be a particularly difficult task, however I'm not sure it's on anyone's radar at the moment. So I guess you'd have to either work on this yourself or try and bribe someone with beer tokens...

Andreas was the last person to work on PPC64, so he'd have a much better idea as to what the current situation is there.

ATB,

Mark.