qemu-ppc

Re: [Qemu-ppc] MorphOS 4.x on QEMU

From: BALATON Zoltan
Subject: Re: [Qemu-ppc] MorphOS 4.x on QEMU
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 00:51:26 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:
On 13/03/14 15:55, BALATON Zoltan wrote:
1. Is there a way to move the VGA mapping after the macio one? I've
tried -vga none but I need to type a boot command and without a graphics
card the console and QEMU monitor both ended up on stdio and mixed up. I

At last I've managed to run with -vga none by redirecting the monitor output and the serial output to different unix domain sockets so I can connect to them separately and type into them without mixing up the input. This also moves the macio to where MorphOS expect it to be and does not hang while trying to talk to cuda at the wrong address.

2. Another difference between the memory maps seems to be that on
hardware the pci controller gets f2000000 and f3000000 and on QEMU it's
f2000000 and f2800000. Can this alignement be changed somewhere? I think
it is in OpenBIOS somewhere but where?

If you want to start experimenting with changing the machine layout, you need to take a look at the Mac99 initialisation code in hw/ppc/mac_newworld.c. The memory API should make it reasonably straightforward to change the addresses of all the different peripherals, including PCI bus ordering as required.

Note that OpenBIOS can probe the PCI bus and so any changes you make to the ordering/BARs should be picked up automatically without having to make any additional changes.

I've also found this and experimented with it some but it does not seem to change anything so for now I've reverted it the way it was.

Alert: SYS_MMUAddPage: Page 0x80000 EndPage 0x81000 already exists
Alert: SYS_MMUAddPage: Page 0xf2000 EndPage 0xf2001 already exists

I don't know what these mean but bringing the memory layout closer to
hardware may solve it or provide some more clues.

It will create a lot of debugging output, however you can try enabling DEBUG_MMU and friends in target-ppc/mmu_helper.c. This should give you enough information to work out when these two pages are being set in order to help you find the culprit.

Removing the VGA card makes the first alert go away and probably removing the serial card makes the second go away too but then I can only rely on debug info dumped in ram which may not contain these alerts so I'm not 100% sure yet. I have to verify this with enabling only the VGA card and see if it puts the alert in ram. So these seem to be related to the pci cards but I don't know how and unfortunately removing the pci cards does not seem to solve the crash so there's some more.

Thanks for the ideas nevertheless, keep them coming if you think it might help. Any ideas are welcome.

Regards,
BALATON Zoltan