qemu-stable

[Qemu-stable] Stable QEMU branches and submodules

From: Janick Bergeron
Subject: [Qemu-stable] Stable QEMU branches and submodules
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2017 17:54:42 +0000

I googled and search the mailing list archives to attempt to find an answer my question but I came up empty….

I’m also new to git submodules, so this may be more of a git question than a QEMU question.

I want to base my on-going work on a stable version of QEMU. Fine: simply work off the desired stable-Y.X branch in my forked repository. However, it appears that the various submodules are not similarly branched, nor is the QEMU branch aligned with a specific submodule commit at the time of the branch: Whenever I update or clone my QEMU branch, it fetches the latest commit on the submodule master branch.

Is there something I’m missing? Or shouldn’t the submodules in a branch be configured to a specific commit or branch thereof in the .gitmodules file?

Maybe working with the latest HEADs in each of the submodule is not a problem, but I like to be able to reliably recreate a particular QEMU build.