Re: [Qexo-general] Newbie - Calling XQuery from Java - "RunXQuery.java"

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [Qexo-general] Newbie - Calling XQuery from Java - "RunXQuery.java"
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 23:48:58 -0800

Phil Shaw wrote:
When I try the other versions of "RunXQuery" that
use XMLPrinter, I get compile errors.

You may need to upgrade to the latest CVS version of Kawa.

But, I don't really want to print, anyway.  My aim
is to take the answer from "xq.eval(...)" and
get the answer strings in Java, not print them.

I looked at the source for "XMLPrinter", and I see
the various sorts of objects that "xq.eval(...)" can return.

Well, eval can return any kind of Java Object.  If you
restrict yourself to a limited class of expression, then
you'd get a limited set of "sorts of objects".

Am I on  the right track?  I.e. coding some routine
to dismantle the object I get from "x.eval(...)"
to get the answer out of it?

But it depends on the object - "dismantling" it may be
difficult.  Using a Consumer is one general approach.
AbstractSequence supports the ideas of a "pull
parser", but the API needs to be documented (and
possibly simplified).

[Btw - I have to manually approve postings from
non-subscribers, so I'd appreciate it you subscribe!]
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://www.bothner.com/per/