Re: [Qexo-general] Calling XQuery from Java

From: Per Bothner
Subject: Re: [Qexo-general] Calling XQuery from Java
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 23:07:23 -0800

Phil Shaw wrote:
*) Now, I've tested and used my "IdentityHandler" class elsewhere, so the above leads me to conclude that the "eval(String, Consumer)"
    method is calling the SAX2 methods out of order, and not calling all
    of them.

    It's calling the "characters" method after the corresponding "endElement"
method.

    It's not calling the "characters" method for the "44" value of the
    "<age>" element.

The ContentConsumer stuff hasn't debugged very well.  There may well
be some bug(s).

    By the way:  It doesn't call the "startDocument" or "endDocument" at
    all.

I think this is correct/reasonable:  An XQuery elememt constructor
creates an element node, not a document node.

    And, I'll
    be happy to send along my "IdentityHandler" class for the common pool.

There is already a ConsumeSAXHandler that implements DocumentHandler,
passing the data to a Consumer.  However, it has not been tested
either, and looks rather incomplete.

(I don't have much if any practical SAX2 experience.)

    Am I missing something or taking a wrong approach to the general
    aim of evaluating an XQuery expression in Java and getting the
    result as a String in Java?

No, I don't think so.  But remember Qexo is pre-alpha software
that implements a specification which isn't finished, and that it
is (so far) mostly a one-man project.  Help is appreciated, for
example in tracking down bugs!
--
        --Per Bothner
address@hidden   http://www.bothner.com/per/