Re: [Quilt-dev] ptk|gui~diff

From: Martin Quinson
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] ptk|gui~diff
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 13:38:50 +0100

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 06:26:49AM +0000, James Rowe wrote:
> Hey
>
>   So then, what is going to be the procedure with resurrecting those
> features you miss from patch-scripts?
>
>   For example, I really miss ptkdiff(even though I used it with xfdiff).
>  I often quite like to see a graphical representation of what changes
> have been made through a patch.
>
>   Anyway, are they going to put in the main helper directory, a contrib/
> directory or rejected as they aren't necessities?

For me, they can go into the main helper directory. The question is then if
we ship them with the rest of the scripts, or as a quilt-contrib package. It
could be good if we add 300 scripts, but for now, I would say that they can
easily stay with the main parts of quilt.

>   Find attached patch that resurrects ptkdiff as guidiff, the command
> used in guidiff is set during configure(so yes it can only be applied
> after the autoconf patches).  The version attached will put itself in
> the main helper directory($prefix/share/quilt).

Good. So, commit the configure stuff, so that we can play with it. And while
you're at it, and since adding this file won't break anything else, also
commit the guidiff patch.

I guess
+AC_ARG_WITH(diff,
+       [  --with-guidiff=         ],
+       guidiff_cmd=$withval)
should be written
        AC_ARG_WITH(guidiff,
          AC_HELP_STRING([--with-guidiff],
                         [name of the GUI diff program to use
(default=xfdiff)]),
          [guidiff_cmd=$withval])

Well, the use of AC_HELP_STRING is optional (even if preferable), but the
first argument of AC_ARG_WITH should be guidiff, not diff.

By the way, AC_HELP_STRING is the argument you looked for to stick to
autoconf>2.50 ;)

>   Right now it will only work with diff tools that use "command file1
> file2", it wouldn't be hard to add support for a printf style
> argument(something like 'guidiff_of_the_week %s --funny-place-opt %s'
> although I can't think of a tool that would need something like that but
> still).

If it's useless, you don't need to implement this funny feature for now.
Let's wait to find which bloody programm need that to adapt ;)

>   I suppose another idea would be to have to --enable-guidiff at
> configure time if you want it at all.  Feedback?

Your stuff is 1.5k big, not even one disk block. It is tested with autoconf
to see if it's usable or not, and disabled if useless (isn't it?).

So, why the hell would the user like to remove it? ;)

--
Nos péchés sont têtus, nos repentirs sont lâches
          --- Ch.Baudelaire, Les fleurs du mal