Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt new broken when called from subdirs

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt new broken when called from subdirs
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:27:50 +0200

On Monday 09 August 2004 20:36, Joe Green wrote:
> Martin Quinson wrote:
> > When calling quilt new from a subdirectory, I get:
> > Warning: directory ../../patches exists; ignoring
> >
> > Mmm. If the right directory is detected, why is it ignored? Did I do
> > something wrong here?
>
> Martin,
>
> Andreas and I had a discussion about this a few weeks ago:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/quilt-dev/2004-07/msg00019.html
>
> I suggested that it should be safe to trust the $SUBDIR if $SERIES
> already exists in the correct location as well, as shown in the first
> patch attached.
>
> I also suggested maybe "-f" should be specified when adding the first
> patch in a new root, to make sure you're not just in the wrong
> directory.  The second patch attached does this.
>
> I don't think Andreas likes these solutions, though.

Okay, maybe special casing the new command wasn't such a great idea. I'll
remove this now so that new will work like all other commands. If
QUILT_PATCHES_PREFIX is set in .quiltrc, the patch name will contain the path
up to the working tree now, anyway.

> > That issue seems related to the debian bug:
> >  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=260664
> > Even if I failed to recognize it at the first glance :-/
>
> I'm not sure if the initial bug mentioned is related ("quilt files").  I
> think this issue only affects "new".

`quilt files' works for me from within sub-directories.

> By the way, referring to a different part of the that thread, I think
> you should be able to set QUILT_PATCHES to "debian/patches" rather than
> having to create a symlink.

Both should work.

Cheers,
--