Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt import worked around

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] quilt import worked around
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:43:32 +0200

On Fri, 2004-09-17 at 17:17, Dean Roehrich wrote:
> >From:  Chris Friesen <address@hidden>
> >Well, I just added all my patches to the patches directory, and put all
> >their
> >names into the series file.  This seems to work, bypassing "quilt import"
> >enti
> >rely.
> >
> >Now, when I do a "quilt refresh" I notice that the output has these "Index"
> >lines, then double-underscore.  Any reason for this?  I'm curious why the
> >file
> >
> >was not made to look like the output of "diff" when doing directories.
> >
> >As it is, the quilt-generated diffs look totally different than the
> >externally-generated ones, and this is not desireable.
>
> Now why did you run the refresh command if you wanted the patch to remain in
> its original form?
>
> The Index line is explicitly added by quilt in the diff_file() function in
> the patchfns script.  Someone else would have to say why.

It's a standard header that defines which file is affected. See the
patch specification in POSIX.1-2001.

> After a refresh, particularly of a newly-imported patch, it's possible that
> the files will be diff'ed in a different order and your newly-refreshed patch
> won't match it's original pre-import version.  Any change here would probably
> have a large impact on the quilt source (lots of work in patchfns at
> least)--and for what purpose?

We actually try to preserve the file order. This is useful when working
with version control systems, as it avoids unnecessarily large changes.

Cheers,
--
Andreas Gruenbacher <address@hidden>
SUSE Labs, SUSE LINUX AG