Re: [Quilt-dev] tarball reminder

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Subject: Re: [Quilt-dev] tarball reminder
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 11:30:33 +0200

On Monday 02 May 2005 22:09, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Mon, May 02, 2005 at 11:44:08AM +0200, Martin Quinson wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 30, 2005 at 02:42:00PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > > I noticed a version bump to 0.40 yesterday.  This is just a friendly
> > > reminder to get a tarball up on
> > >
> > > http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/quilt/
> >
> > Well, I can't because it's not tagged yet and tags are mandatory to my
> > script...
>
> Hm, good point.  I didn't notice that.  Is there some formal method for
> deciding when to bump and tag a version?  Or is it just a matter of tagging
> all the files at CVS HEAD when the version is bumped?

Version increments are informal. I usually bump the minor version number in
configure.ac when I add something non-trivial that should go out to users
within reasonable time. We should tag all versions in CVS as well of course,
but it's sometimes easy to overlook.

It's not always trivial for persons other than the one who bumps the version
number to tag releases (we might end up with inconsistencies), so please
don't.

Cheers,
Andreas.